Portfolio Prize - Entry details
The call for the 2017 Portfolio Prize will open in December. Stay tuned and check back for submission dates.
First prize is $3,000 and an exhibition at Aperture Gallery. The first-prize winner and up to five runners-up will be featured on Aperture’s website, accompanied by a brief statement written by Aperture staff. All winners are announced in the foundation’s e-newsletter, which reaches fifty thousand subscribers across the globe, including curators, critics, and members of the photography community. Winners will also have the opportunity to participate in the Aperture Foundation limited-edition print program.
How to Enter
1. Become an Aperture Member to enter the 2016 Portfolio Prize!
Aperture Foundation Members are integral to our publishing, education, and public programming. Membership includes invitations to special events, exclusive discounts on Aperture publications, and opportunities to meet and engage with artists and leaders in the photo community. For more information on membership benefits, visit aperture.org/join.
2. Get your passcode.
Upon online purchase of an Aperture membership, you will receive an e-receipt containing a unique invitational call passcode to enter the 2016 Aperture Portfolio Prize. Starting on Thursday, October 1, 2015, you may use this code to enter at callforentry.org.
If your annual membership is current through December 6, 2015, there is no additional fee to enter the prize. Please check your inbox for an e-mail containing an invitational call passcode.
3. Enter via callforentry.org until Wednesday, December 2, 2015 at 12:00 noon EST.
Starting on Thursday, October 1, 2015, go to callforentry.org (CaFÉ). You will be prompted for free registration with CaFÉ. Once you are registered (and/or have logged in), upload your selection of images to “My Portfolio”. Then click “Apply to Calls” and enter your invitational call passcode to enter the Aperture Portfolio Prize. You will be asked to provide the following:
- 15 images with title/caption information (see FAQ for guidelines on how to submit fewer images)
- Statement of up to 250 words about your work
If you would like to submit more than one portfolio, contact email@example.com.
When examining competition entries, Aperture’s editors and curatorial staff will consider the following criteria:
- Is the work new, i.e., created in the last five years?
- Is a theme or topic carried throughout the portfolio in a consistent manner?
- Do the individual images have strong composition and strong use of color or tone?
- What technical and presentation choices has the photographer made, and are they appropriate for the work? For example, is there a clear reason for using sepia-toned black-and-white versus a digitally enhanced palette?
- Does the body of work take an innovative or unique approach to the subject matter?
More questions? Check out our FAQs.