The first-prize winner will be published in Aperture magazine and will receive a $3,000 cash prize along with an exhibition in New York. Additionally, the winner and up to four runners-up will be featured in an online gallery on aperture.org. All finalists are announced in the foundation’s e-newsletter, which reaches over fifty thousand subscribers across the globe, including curators, critics, and members of the photography community. The winner and runners-up may also have an opportunity to participate in Aperture Foundation’s limited-edition print program.
DEADLINE AND TIMEFRAME
- December 6, 2018: Call for entries is open for submissions.
- January 25, 2019: Deadline (Now Extended). Call for entries closes at 11:59 p.m. EST. Absolutely no exceptions are made for late submissions. Please allow ample time to subscribe to the magazine and complete your entry, submitting well in advance of the deadline.
- April 2019: Announcement of shortlisted finalists.
- April 2019: Announcement of winner.
- December 2019: Winner is published in the Winter 2019 issue of Aperture magazine.
- Fall 2019: Exhibition of the winning portfolio is on view in New York.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Subscribe to Aperture magazine!
This year, the sole entry requirement for entering the Portfolio Prize is to be an Aperture magazine print subscriber. Subscriptions must be current through Spring 2019, issue #234. To subscribe, please visit aperture.org/magprize.
Failure to provide an accurate print subscription magazine account number will result in the disqualification of the submission.
2. Get your magazine account number.
For new subscribers, your account number can be found in your e-receipt. To subscribe, visit aperture.org/magprize.
For current subscribers, your account number and expiration date appear on the address card that is sent along with every issue. Please see below. Or, you can request your account number and expiration date by sending an e-mail with your name and address to [email protected].
3. Register on picter.com for free.
4. Submit your portfolio and application before the deadline on Friday, January 25, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EST (Now Extended).
Starting on Thursday, December 6, 2018, the Aperture Portfolio Prize will be open for submissions at picter.com. Once you’ve registered, you will need to provide the following before the January 25, 2019 extended deadline:
- Aperture magazine account number (required)
- 15 images with title/caption information
- Statement about your work (250 words maximum)
- Bio (250 words maximum)
When examining entries, Aperture’s editors and curatorial staff will consider the following criteria:
- Is the work new, i.e., created in the past five years?
- Is a theme or topic carried throughout the portfolio in a fully resolved, consistent manner?
- Are each of the images individually strong?
- What technical and presentation choices has the photographer made, and are they appropriate for the work? For example, is there a clear reason for the work being in black and white versus a digitally enhanced palette?
- Does the body of work take an innovative or unique approach to the subject matter?
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Aperture Foundation reserves the right to reject entries that are submitted without the required information or that do not meet the criteria of eligibility, without any obligation to enter into any further discussion regarding the editors’ decisions, and without obligation to refund the entrant’s magazine subscription.
Entries should come directly from artists, not from galleries or representatives.
The editors’ decisions shall be final. No correspondence shall be entered into by Aperture Foundation, nor its representatives, regarding the decisions of the editor(s).
Representatives of Aperture Foundation are not available to review unsolicited materials received except as entered via the Portfolio Prize.
While copyright of all work submitted for the Portfolio Prize remains with the respective entrants, the entrant grants to Aperture Foundation a worldwide, irrevocable, and perpetual license to reproduce representative examples of the submitted entries in any of their publications, websites, and/or promotional material, strictly in connection with the Portfolio Prize, and with reference to the photographer as relevant in each case.
Aperture Foundation reserves the right to place a selection of images from the winning portfolio under embargo from the time of the announcement of the winner until release of the Winter 2019 issue of Aperture magazine.
Details of particular entries may be, at the discretion of Aperture Foundation, released to the press to promote the Portfolio Prize, including before the announcement of the shortlist for the prize, and may be used to promote the call for entry the following year.
Applicants warrant that the entry submission is the original work of the artist and, as such, the artist is the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted work, and that the party submitting has the right to submit the work for exhibition and/or publication and grants all required licenses. Each entrant agrees not to submit any entry that (1) infringes any third party’s proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity, or confidentiality obligations; and (2) otherwise violates the applicable state, federal, provincial, or local law.
No exceptions will be made for late submissions.
Aperture magazine subscriptions are nonrefundable.
By submitting to the Aperture Portfolio Prize, you agree to the terms and conditions listed above.