Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
SENIOR MANAGER, INDIVIDUAL DEVELOPMENT
Aperture is seeking a Senior Manager, Individual Development to shape and manage the organization’s individual giving program, including fundraising events, such as Aperture’s annual spring benefit and fall gala, membership program, and donor cultivation activities. The Senior Manager reports directly to the Director of Development.
This position supervises a Development Coordinator and interns.
- Develop and implement strategies, goals, and timelines aimed at increasing individual donor base and average donor gift size in order to achieve annual financial goals
- Identify and encourage innovative and creative approaches for building the Patron program, upgrading members from lower levels, designing prospecting initiatives, and collaborating with other foundation staff
- Oversee a portfolio of new and existing donors to build relationships and deepen engagement with the foundation for lifelong support
- Design, oversee, and effectively implement a multi-tiered membership strategy and program for the acquisition and retention of Members, in collaboration with the Director of Development and working closely with editorial staff
- Design and manage a dynamic calendar of member events intended to engage and steward members and donors
- Oversee travel programs for the Patron group
- Implement the annual fall gala and spring benefit, as well as other smaller fundraising events. Responsibilities include: event concept development; supporting the event leadership and auction; producing materials; tracking financials and reporting on progress; and overseeing follow-up activities, including 100 percent close-out of pledges and receivables and acknowledgments
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Development to create an individual giving fundraising plan, including donor prospect identification, cultivation, acknowledgment, and solicitation
- Track finances including budgets, check requests, invoicing, and reporting, as well as analyze and make data-driven decisons
- Coordinate event team workflow, priorities, and collaboration with other departments
- BA degree; MA in a related field desirable
- 4–7 years of fundraising experience in an arts-related environment, preferably with a focus on membership programs, special events, and/or individual support
- Excellent relationship-management skills, with demonstrated experience in successfully soliciting and closing individual gifts
- Significant experience in the conceptualization, strategic development, and implementation of membership programs and management of individual donors with an ability to solicit a range of gifts
- Demonstrated ability in event management, providing exceptional attention to detail and outstanding customer service
- Strong writing, proofreading, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills; ability to interact with a range of donors and prospects in person, over the phone, and via email
- Measurable track record and demonstrated success in membership and direct marketing experience
- Strong organizational skills and ability to plan and execute multiple concurrent projects and events; adept at working under deadlines; a willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Demonstrated exposure to and commitment to the art and philanthropy worlds and the ability to network within them
- Budget and financial management experience
- Experience using social media sites, WordPress, and MailChimp a plus
- Excellent computer skills required: knowledge of development databases, Salesforce (preferred), Research Point, and Microsoft Office Suite experience
- Passion for Aperture’s mission
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, using the following conventions:
In the subject line indicate the job title: Senior Manager, Individual Development
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Only applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
Aperture offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also has generous vacation, sick leave, and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Aperture seeks to build a diverse and inclusive workforce, and welcomes all applications regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, cultural background, disability, age, or religion.