Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
Senior Production Manager
Aperture seeks a Senior Production Manager to oversee the production of Aperture’s books, quarterly magazine, and ancillary materials, ensuring that, across the range of Aperture’s list, we are achieving the most competitive pricing possible, the quality desired, with delivery to schedule. The Senior Production Manager will work closely with the Executive Managing Editor and report to the Executive Director.
- Supervise a small in-house production team comprised of the Production Manager, Production intern, Designer, and relevant outside suppliers and freelancers
- Cultivate good working relationships with all suppliers
- Establish and update pool of print, repro and other suppliers for books, Aperture magazine, promotional materials, and limited editions
- Lead negotiations with printers with respect to print partnerships; best possible trade pricing (including consolidating print purchasing where relevant); and best possible pricing for Aperture’s more specialist books
- Prepare annual production budget for books and limited editions
- Review annual production budget for Aperture magazine
- Review all production invoices and alert CFO to any potential cash flow issues
- Maintain awareness of current exchange rates and their impact on production budgets
- Investigate new technologies and cost-saving measures
- Prepare, or supervise preparation of, cost reports for books and Aperture magazine
- In coordination with Director of Sales and Foreign Rights, request estimates for, and supervise production and delivery of, foreign co-editions and selected reprints
- In coordination with relevant editors, Exhibitions Manager and Sales & Marketing Director, request estimates, establish schedules, and oversee production of Limited Editions
- 5-7 years photography publishing production experience, including negotiating contracts and supervising press work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and project management skills, with ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously with little supervision
- Strong grasp of issues of contemporary photography and/or the arts a plus.
- Ability to travel overseas
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com. Please use the following conventions:
- Subject line: Senior Production Manager
- Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.pdf
- Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_resume.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE . Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage qualified professionals across all diverse groups to apply.