Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
Aperture seeks a full-time Production Manager to oversee, along with the Production Director, the printing of its books and quarterly magazine, maintaining Aperture’s reputation for the highest quality photography reproduction in print. The ideal candidate will have strong technical experience in both photography and printing, a passion for books, and excellent organizational skills.
- Proof color and black & white images for offset print reproduction (black & white in duotone, or occasionally tritone), ensuring balance of fidelity to artist’s original prints alongside Aperture’s house standards and processes
- Quote and spec projects with printers; draft budgets internally for review and negotiate to tight budgets where necessary
- Handle and organize physical prints, sample materials, and books
- Review, correct and finalize book design files and create print-ready PDFs
- Maintain archive of high resolution image files, design files, PDFs and reference files for all print projects
- Organize shipping between overseas printers and distribution warehouses
- Travel to printers for press supervision (China and Europe)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Passion for photography
- Love of books and bookmaking
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat
- An eye for color and detail, and experience in providing detailed CMYK and duotone/tritone correction instructions
- Experience working with photography and photographic technology
- Strong organizational skill, with ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in team environment, with artists and all levels of staff
Please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience
meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard
about this opportunity, to email@example.com, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Production Manager
Cover Letter and Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_production_manager.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage qualified professionals across all diverse groups to apply.