Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
Aperture seeks a Development Coordinator to provide administrative and programmatic support to all development staff members, and report to the Director of Development, in work overseeing the areas of Individual Development, Corporate Development, Institutional Development, Membership, Special Events, and Development Operations.
The Development Coordinator is a key liaison and will work closely with the Director and other departments throughout the foundation, and will interact with trustees and donors.
The Development Coordinator will supervise the work of one or more work scholars.
Individual giving and special events:
- Work collaboratively with members of the Development Department to achieve and exceed fundraising goals.
- Assist the Director of Development and Senior Associate for Individual Giving with meetings, events, and travel program coordination and logistical planning, preparing agendas and itineraries, confidential and time-sensitive correspondence, and tracking RSVPs.
- Respond to donor inquiries and other departmental requests.
- Assist with the coordination of two annual benefit parties and auctions.
- Process gifts for the department.
- Provide prospect research as needed.
- Provide front line support at events for the Development Department and at foundation-wide events.
- Manage mailings for event invitations, exhibition openings, publications, and other special gifts, and travel programs.
- Responsible for data management and integrity, and working with the Senior Associate for Individual Giving, plus the Institutional, Corporate, and Accounting teams, to maintain accurate donor records in the database and prospect management systems for reporting purposes.
- Work with Director of Development and Senior Associate for Individual Giving to help provide data analysis to support the program.
- Coordinate and distribute art fair passes to high-level donors and other VIPs.
- Manage departmental documents, including membership rosters, calendars, and income reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain the Institutional Funding Officer’s calendar of grant proposal and report deadlines.
- Research and regularly update foundation files using website searches and online databases including Foundation Directory Online and GuideStar.
- Write Letters of Intent; proofread grant proposals, reports, and budgets; prepare required supplemental materials; and ensure submission/delivery.
- In collaboration with Institutional Funding Officer, monitor Aperture’s programs for grant reporting (narrative and financial).
- B.A. or B.S. Degree; M.A. desirable.
- 2 to 3 years of relevant prior work experience, preferably with a not-for-profit organization in development, donor relations, special events, or administration.
- Detail-oriented and well organized with ability to work as a team member and/or work independently.
- Solid work ethic, self-starter, curious problem-solver who takes initiative when appropriate.
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize and juggle several tasks.
- Extremely personable and able to form solid relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and sincere interest in cultivating diverse perspectives.
- Database experience with Salesforce is a plus; otherwise robust technology skills (Microsoft Office Suite with advanced Excel, MailChimp, and other web content management systems, etc.).
- Familiarity with fundraising techniques including, but not limited to, proposal writing, public relations, donor relations and stewardship, prospect research.
- Copy editing and/or professional writing experience a plus.
- Availability to work some extra evenings and weekends as necessary.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, one relevant writing sample (no longer than 2 pages), and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Development Coordinator
Cover Letter and Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_development-coordinator.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage qualified professionals across all diverse groups to apply.