Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
Aperture is seeking a full-time Sales Assistant to play a key front-of-house role, assisting the organization to meet its sales goals. The Sales Assistant reports to the Sales Director, Books, while working closely with the Sales and Marketing Director, and the Aperture team as a whole.
Sales and customer service
- Implement and manage bookstore sales and promotional strategies to meet sales goals
- Work with Sales and Operations Associate to hire, train, and supervise Sales Work Scholar
- Help prepare and attend art and book fairs on occasion, as needed
- Coordinate Aperture’s annual Holiday Book Bazaar in December
- Assist Sales Director, Books, and Sales and Marketing Director in the sale of books and limited edition products
- Assist in sales and marketing initiatives related to special sales of Aperture books and prints.
- Build and maintain relationships with clients and collectors, including prospecting and cold calling
- Investigate new opportunities for non-Aperture products to sell in person and on line
- Help plan and manage book signings and promotional events in conjunction with the Publicity and Events Associate, the Education and Public Programs Associate, and other Aperture staff
- Handle all customer service-related inquiries via telephone and e-mail courteously and expeditiously
- Assist Sales Director, Books with writing and producing a monthly e-mail newsletter
- Enter all bookstore and web sales invoices into Acumen accounting system
- Attend marketing and programs, sales department, and other Aperture staff meetings as required
Bookstore operations and gallery
- Manage daily bookstore operations, including oversight of the facilities
- Create and maintain appropriate bookstore and gallery image. Maintain a high level of visual merchandising and housekeeping standards
- Manage store assets and inventory, including, if relevant, consignment items
- Manage the maintenance of bookstore accounting records and processes
- Monitor daily bookstore sales and manage cash
- Manage the Reception Desk and associated staffing requirements. Duties include telephone switchboard, routing of courier deliveries, greeting of visitors, and other related assignments. Train and supervise work scholars in reception duties and bookstore functions.
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned
- Excellent presentation and people skills
- Experience in and enthusiasm for all aspects of the sales process
- Enthusiasm for and knowledge about contemporary photography, including books
- Good knowledge of retail operating principles, practices and procedures, including cashiering, accounting, inventory control and maintenance, publicity and promotions, retailing, staff supervision, shipping and receiving, and oversight of facilities
- Ability to work effectively with other staff members, as well as the diverse groups of the arts community
- Ability to assimilate product information quickly
- Ability to perform consistently under the pressure of deadlines and other administrative demands
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Please send a resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to email@example.com, using the following conventions:
Subject line: Sales Assistant
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.pdf Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_resume.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage qualified professionals across all diverse groups to apply.