Aperture is a not-for-profit foundation, connecting the photo community and its audiences with the most inspiring work, with the sharpest ideas, and with each other—in print, in person, and online.
Created in 1952 by photographers and writers as “common ground for the advancement of photography,” Aperture today is a multiplatform publisher and center for the photo community. From our base in New York, we produce, publish, and present a program of photography projects, locally and internationally. The Foundation offers public programs including lectures, workshops, panel discussions, and conferences that contribute to and expand the dialogue on photography’s role in our society as well as outreach education for children and teens building visual literacy and aimed to engage diverse new audiences.
We are recruiting a Development Associate to organize and manage special Development events, including our Annual Benefit and Auction; spearhead individual giving activities; help expand our membership programs; and handle donor database management. Related tasks will include external outreach tasks such as fundraising communications (print & electronic), and social media strategy & implementation.
The Development Associate will report to the Individual Giving Officer.
- Coordinating the Annual Benefit and Auction, including planning, organizing, and implementing the event; working with Aperture staff on collecting, cataloguing, and transporting all artwork and auction lots; overseeing design and production of all printed materials, tracking ticket sales and invitees; and coordinating follow-up after the event
- Supporting the Individual Giving Officer in developing, planning, and implementing fundraisers and cultivation events, including invitations, RSVP tracking, invoicing, receipts and other correspondence.
- Working with Individual Giving Officer on conceptualizing, planning and implementing current and future development campaigns, membership programs, and other initiatives related to individual giving
- Coordinating and conducting research of core donor and prospects
- Coordinating, planning, and implementing strategies for the acquisition, cultivation, retention, and stewardship of current and prospective individual donors
- Working with Individual Giving Officer to set priorities for cultivation of these donor/prospect groups
- Producing all printed and electronic matter and oversee mailings for Membership and Annual Appeal
- Tracking departmental income/expenses in relationship to fundraising events and campaigns
- Maintaining the integrity of donor records in the foundation’s donor database and central files
- Overseeing and managing the development work scholar
- Passion for Aperture’s mission
- 3-5 years of demonstrated experience in event planning and membership/patron cultivation, preferably in a cultural institution
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as active listening skills.
- Ability to assimilate information about Aperture’s programs from a variety of sources in order to represent Aperture’s mission to donors and members
- Professional and polished demeanor in phone, e-mail and in-person communication
- Experience with donor databases, preferably Salesforce or Raiser’s Edge.
- Comfortable working on budgets and other financial documents; detail oriented
- Commitment to team collaboration with strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and work independently with minimal oversight and thrive under pressure and on deadline
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office) and proficiency with HTML, WordPress and MailChimp
- Some knowledge of photography
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Art history, museum studies, arts administration, and/or related writing-specific disciplines preferred
Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, your current/most recent salary, and how you heard about this opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following conventions:
- Subject line: Development Associate
- Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.pdf
- Resume: yourfirstname_yourlastname_resume.pdf
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. NO CALLS, PLEASE
Aperture is an Equal Opportunity Employer